The spacing of shrubs when landscaping is vital to overall look of the property. Shrubs are used for different purposes depending on the goal of the landscaping. Choosing the right shrubs and placing them at appropriate distance is of utmost importance to get the most out of them. There are several factors that should be taken into account before placing the shrubs.
- Start by measuring the height, width and length of the available space in your garden for the shrubs. This information will come handy when choosing shrubs for your garden.
- First, set a goal for your landscape and then act accordingly. If you are using the shrubs as foundation plants then choose a variety that are low in height and has a slow growing rate. Also they should not affect the structural elements in any way or become an obstacle to access. There are free-standing plants that need sufficient space between them whereas the hedge plants need to be placed closely for maximum effects.
- Doing a bit of research about the various species is always a good idea. Having some idea about the mature state of a particular shrub can be the perfect guideline for placing them. The idea is to create favorable conditions for shade, light, and air supply for their optimum growth. This would make them less susceptible to diseases and pests. Native species are always a better choice over the exotic ones.
- Preparing the soil before planting the shrubs will go a long way in keeping your garden healthy and flourishing. This process involves digging the soil twice the diameter of the root ball and then filling half of it with organic materials. This would keep the supply of nutrients to the plants intact and support optimum growth of the roots resulting in a stronger, healthy garden.
- The distance between two shrubs largely depends on their final width and height. Each plant should be given enough space to develop properly. For this, proper circulation of air, required amount of shade or sunlight and adequate water supply need to be ensured. Their distance from structural elements like pavers, walls or any other hard surface too should be proper so that they don’t find any obstacle in spreading their roots.
The final look of the landscape hugely depends on planning that goes before planting the plants. Shrubs are widely used in landscaping as they serve quite a few purposes. Choosing the right shrubs and spacing them appropriately makes a huge impact on the overall look of your garden. Keeping the above pointers in mind will be very helpful while planning your garden layout.
Proper spacing between shrubs is decided based on several factors. The final height, width and length of your chosen species are most important in deciding the appropriate amount of space between them. After that, the adequate supply of air, light, shade and water comes into play as they are necessary for proper growth of the shrubs. A little research and planning before placing go a long way in keeping the shrubs healthy and good looking.